AUSTRIA | GERMANY | SWITZERLAND | LIECHTENSTEIN
How to Travel in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland…
and really enjoy it!
How do you pay the bill in a German restaurant? Should you take traveler’s checks or will your debit or credit card work in Austria? Does a US cell phone work in Europe? These are just a few of the kinds of questions you can find the answer to – here at our website and in our books on German language and culture.
Travel Tips – Know Before You Go!
You probably know that you need a valid passport to travel to Germany from the US or Canada, but what else do you need to know? This guide will tell you.
- Know Before You Go – What North Americans need to know about US or Canadian Customs, flights to Europe, and much more
- Country Information
- Driving in Europe – A guide for travelers
- The Autobahn in Austria, Germany, and Switzerland
Travel Tips – Getting Around
Cars, trains and planes – literally! Below you’ll find our guides to driving in Europe, renting a car, traveling by rail or taking to the air.
- Driving in Germany: Rental Tips – Renting a car in Germany
- Driving: Environmental Zones – Many cities in Germany have “green zones” that require a special sticker for entry.
- Hotels and B&B’s – Finding accommodations in Austria, Germany, and Switzerland
- Public Transport in Germany – Getting around locally via S-Bahn, U-Bahn, bus, and tram
- Shopping in Germany – Shopping hours plus advice on how to shop
- Train Travel in Germany – Advice for riding the rails in Germany and Europe. Also see the introductory Train Travel page about European and German trains.
- Airlines and Air Travel – Besides Lufthansa, which airlines can fly you to Europe and the German-speaking countries? How about flights within Europe? Find the answers here.
If you’ll be staying for a while, or even living in Europe, here are some practical tips to make life more enjoyable.
- Dining Out in Germany – Different lands, different customs – even for restaurants
- Electrical Facts – 220 volts and all that
Places to Go, People to See!
Don’t miss the key sights and attractions in Austria, Germany or Switzerland! We don’t just tell you what to see, but when and why!
- Berlin: The Reichstag – The history of the German parliament and a guide to visiting the Reichstag and its dome – with photos
- Castles and Palaces in Germany – Guides to castles and palaces in Germany
- City Guides: Germany – Sightseeing, history
- City Guides: Austria – Sightseeing, history
- City Guides for Switzerland – Coming soon
Next | Germany: Facts and Figures