On this special page you’ll find links to all of our “How To” pages – listed alphabetically. If you don’t find what you need here, please use the “Search” feature (on right) and our Site Map, a guide to finding your way around this site.
GET THE BOOK! Germany for Beginners: The German Way Expat Guidebook is by the same people who wrote the “How To” advice below. Available in print or ebook editions. More…
NEW: Temp Work in Germany: Temporary Work in Germany: Leihfirmen und Zeitarbeit – Looking for work in Germany? Consider Zeitarbeitsfirmen und Zeitarbeit (Temporary Work Agencies and Temp Work) as one option.
NEW: Business in Germany: How To Set Up a Business in Germany – A practical guide for prospective entrepreneurs in Germany: How to prepare, get government support, register your company, and deal with legal issues.
NEW: Expat Employment: Arbeitsamt – A practical guide to dealing with Germany’s Bundesagentur für Arbeit. When expats want to get a job, change jobs, or draw unemployment benefits, this is how to work with the Arbeitsamt.
- Apartment Rental: Applying for a Wohnung in Berlin – Erin’s blog post about the process of applying for an apartment in Berlin or other cities. It can be difficult to find a flat in big cities. These hints can help.
- Banking: How To Open a Bank Account in Germany – A step-by-step guide to the process of opening a bank account, plus information about the types of banks and accounts.
- Business in Germany: How To Set Up a Business in Germany – A practical guide for prospective entrepreneurs in Germany: How to prepare, get government support, register your company, and deal with legal issues.
- Buying a Car: How to Buy or Lease a Car in Germany – Autokauf in Deutschland – A step-by-step guide
- Buying a House: How to Buy a House – Looking to buy? Take your time.
- Cell Phones: How to Take Your Cell Phone to Germany/Europe – A detailed guide on what you need to know before you travel abroad with your mobile phone.
- Child Daycare: How to Enroll Your Child in Daycare in Germany – A step-by-step guide by a mom who has been there and done that.
- Death and Funerals: How to Report a Death – The German Way of Death and Funerals tells you how to navigate Germany’s strict laws and regulations concerning the burial or cremation of the deceased.
- Dogs and Cats: How to Take Your Dog or Cat to Germany – A step-by-step guide – from getting shots to airline requirements for pets. – Also see this blog post: Moving with Max – Taking your dog to Germany
- Driver’s License: How to Get a German Driver’s License – A step-by-step guide on the process of obtaining a German Führerschein.
- Expat Employment 1: Arbeitsamt – A practical guide to dealing with Germany’s Bundesagentur für Arbeit (“das Arbeitsamt”). When expats want to get a job, change jobs, or draw unemployment benefits, this is how to work with the Arbeitsamt.
- Expat Employment 2: Temporary Work in Germany: Leihfirmen und Zeitarbeit – Looking for work in Germany? Consider Zeitarbeitsfirmen und Zeitarbeit (Temporary Work Agencies and Temp Work) as one option.
- Food and Drink: How to Eat Like a German – German customs related to mealtimes, popular dishes, typical beverages, and table manners.
- German TV: How to Watch German Television – PAL TV and why your North American TV set won’t work in Europe… and what you can do about it. Also see: Radio and Television in Germany (ARD, ZDF, etc.)
- Grocery Shopping: How to Shop for Groceries in Germany – A guide to shopping for groceries for Germany
- Housewarming Traditions: Housewarming Traditions in Germany – Tradition calls for a gift of bread and salt! But there are other options.
- Immigrating to Germany: How to Immigrate to Germany – What you need to know about residence permit categories and the immigration process.
- Jet Lag: How to Deal with Jet Lag – Expats are subject to the effects of jet lag. Here are 7 rules that help travelers alleviate jet lag.
- Moving to Germany: How to Move to Germany – “Moving to Germany: Tips for Your Overseas Move” – A step-by-step guide – from planning and packing to shipping and moving in. – Also see Moving to Germany: The Top 10 Things to Consider
- Pregnancy: Preparing for Birth: Having a Baby in Germany: Prenatal Care (Part 1) – What mothers-to-be need to know about preparing for childbirth in Germany
- Pregnancy: Giving Birth: Having a Baby in Germany: Giving Birth (Part 2) – When it’s time to deliver, here’s what you need to know.
- Prescription Drugs: How to Get a Prescription Filled in Germany – Rx for expats: What you need to know about prescription drug differences.
- Public Transport: How to Use Public Transport in Germany – Getting around locally via S-Bahn, U-Bahn, bus, and tram
- Residence Permit: How to Get a German Residence Permit – A step-by-step guide on the process of obtaining an Aufenthaltstitel.
- Shopping: How to Shop in Germany – Shopping advice for Germany
- Train Travel: How to Travel by Rail in Germany – Tips for traveling by train.
More Helpful Advice and Information for Expats and Travelers
Practical advice and information to help you with daily living in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- Airports and Air Travel in Germany
- Autobahn Tolls in Austria and Switzerland
- Banking (money, banks and credit cards)
- Blog: The German Way Expat Blog – For expats by expats
- Books: The German Way Store – Find books dealing with life in German-speaking Europe
- Calendar: German Holidays and Celebrations – Holidays in Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- City Guide: Berlin and Potsdam – What to see and do in the German capital
- City Guide: Dresden – History and sights in Saxony
- City Guide: Kitzbühel, Austria – One of Austria’s top ski resorts is also very popular in the summer!
- City Guide: Trier – History and sights in Germany’s oldest city
- Cultural Comparison Charts: USA vs Germany – Helpful, comparative info about daily life in the US and Germany
- Dialects in German – You won’t always hear standard German
- Dining Etiquette and table manners in Germany
- Du and Sie – Friends and acquaintances – German language help
- Education in the German-speaking countries – Also see Higher Education (universities).
- Euro – A guide to the euro in Germany, Austria and the Euro Zone
- German – Some tips for learning the language of Bach and Goethe
- Germany for Tourists
- Higher education in Germany
- Internet and Computer Tips for Germany and Europe.
- iPhone in Germany – Now you can buy an iPhone in Germany and the USA, with or without a contract. Which place is best? Which option is best? Plus using an iPhone in Germany/Europe.
- Post Office – die Post – A guide to the German postal service
- Religion in Germany – Religion and morality
- Snow Tires and Winter Driving – Follow the “O to O” rule for winter driving.
- Telephone Tips for Germany
- Travel and Tourism in Germany, Austria, Switzerland
- Living in Germany – For expats in German-speaking Europe
- History & Culture – Austria, Germany and Switzerland
- The German Way Expat Blog – For expats, by expats
Legal Notice: We are not responsible for the content of external links.